The magic ingredients for these bewitching apples? A deep crimson variety like Red Delicious, a few drops of food coloring — plus a dash of spicy cinnamon.
YIELD: 6 to 8 servings
- 6 Red Delicious apples
- 3 c. sugar
- 1 c. water
- ½ c. light corn syrup
- ½ tsp. cinnamon-flavored oil
- ¼ tbsp. red food coloring
- Remove stems and skewer apples (see “Tricks for Sticks,” below).
- In a saucepan over high heat, with a candy thermometer attached, heat sugar, water, and light corn syrup, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Bring to a boil until mixture reaches 300 degrees F. Remove from heat, and stir in 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon-flavored oil and 1/4 tablespoon red food coloring.
- To make red apples: Dip apples, one at a time, then transfer to a greased baking sheet. Let cool, about 10 minutes.
- To make black apples: Add 1/4 tablespoon black food coloring to your red syrup. (If the syrup has thickened, reheat briefly.) Dip apples, one at a time, then transfer to a greased baking sheet. Let cool, about 10 minutes.